Pages

The Best Part of Christmas

December 7, 2014

Laura (Stockton) Lasser as a Yule page, photo taken at her home, about 1984 
Photo courtesy of Laura (Stockton) Lasser

Laura (Stockton) Lasser as a Holly Bearer
 Boar's Head dress rehearsal, 1986
Photo from Boar's Head archive

Laura (Stockton) Lasser (second row, second from the right) 
Holly Bearers, 1986
Photo courtesy of Laura (Stockton) Lasser


My family went to Christ Church in the early 1980's. My dad, Dan Stockton, was a herald in (if memory serves) 1983-1984, maybe as early as 1982. I started as a yule page around 1984, and in the following years served as a page and an orphan, and at least one other costume I can't quite remember. It was the one with the cone hats, that no matter what we were called, I always thought of myself as a princess. My last year was probably around 1989, give or take. Maybe as late as 1991.

I remember how excited I was to be involved the first time. I put my costume laid out on top of my bedsheets and slept under them the night before. I remember waiting in the wings, carrying a branch of holly, or holding a lantern. I remember singing, and holding hands while dancing in a circle, to Deck the Halls. I remember trying to peek inside to see the waits. 


Dan Stockton, likely as a Herald, about 1984
photo courtesy of Laura (Stockton) Lasser

I remember how funny it was to me, to see my dad dressed up in tights. I also remember how big a deal it was for him to not wear his glasses. He might have gotten hard contacts just for Boar's Head.

I've been far from Cincinnati for a long time, but every holiday season I have to listen to Boar's Head. I look forward to coming back and visiting some day.

Laura (Stockton) Lasser

No comments:

Post a Comment